We offer a variety of wellness and exercise programs for older adults. Please read about the activities and fitness levels for each class below. Classes are free to residents and open to community members.
A Matter of Balance
A Matter of Balance emphasizes practical strategies to reduce fear of falling and increase activity levels. Participants learn to view falls and fear of falling as controllable, set realistic goals to increase activity, change their environment to reduce fall risk factors, and exercise to increase strength and balance.
Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance™
Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance™ (TJQMBB) is an evidence-based fall prevention program for community-dwelling older adults. The program consists of an 8-form core routine with built-in exercise variations and a subroutine of integrated therapeutic movements (Tai Ji Quan – Mini Therapeutic Movements), which, collectively, comprise a set of simple yet functional Tai Ji Quan-based moves. The program is delivered in two 1-hour sessions each week for 24 weeks. Each session consists of warm-up exercises; core practices, which include a mix of practice of forms, variations of forms, and mini-therapeutic movements; and brief cool-down exercises.
See Tai Ji Quan Locations
EnhanceFitness, a low-cost, evidence-based group exercise program, helps older adults at all levels of fitness become more active, energized, and empowered to sustain independent lives. EnhanceFitness focuses on dynamic cardiovascular exercise, strength training, balance, and flexibility — everything older adults need to maintain health and function as they age.
In a typical class, participants will experience:
• A certified instructor with special training in bringing out the physical best from older adults
• A 5-minute warm-up to get the blood flowing to the muscles
• A 20-minute aerobic workout to lively music that the class chooses that gets participants moving (seated or standing options)
• A 5-minute cool-down
• A 20-minute strength training workout with soft ankle and wrist weights (0 up to 20 pounds)
• A 10-minute stretching workout to keep the muscles flexible
• Balance exercises throughout the class
• Lots of opportunities for participants to make new friends and acquaintances
Depending on the class, participants may either be amongst peers of their own level of fitness or a group of various fitness levels from the frail to the more fit older adult. A certified instructor, who has completed the EnhanceFitness training, will safely lead the class through the exercises at a pace that’s right for each individual.
See Enhance®Ftness Locations
Living Well with Chronic Conditions
Are you an adult with an ongoing health condition or caring for someone with an ongoing health condition? Consider taking a Living Well with Chronic Conditions Workshop. In this workshop you’ll find great information and practical skills for: managing pain and fatigue, healthy eating, physical activity, making informed treatment choices and talking with your doctor and family about your health concerns. Most importantly, you will gain confidence, motivation and, find practical solutions to manage the challenges of living with a chronic health condition.
• If you have conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, heart disease, chronic pain, anxiety, take this workshop and take charge of your life.
• Join a weekly 2-hour Living Well with Chronic Conditions Workshop for six weeks
• Learn from trained facilitators
• Get support from other participants
• Set your own goals and make a step-by-step plan to improve your health – and your life
Designed for active older adults, SilverSneakers® FLEX brings fitness straight to your neighborhood by offering classes and activities at local older-adult living communities near you. SilverSneakers FLEX gives you options outside the traditional fitness center. Classes are taught by certified instructors and can include Cardio, Strength, Flexibility, Balance, and Tai Chi exercises. SilverSneakers FLEX classes are a low-impact class designed to help you improve flexibility and balance while increasing muscular endurance. Strength exercises may include lifting hand-held weights, stretching resistive tubing and using your own body’s resistance while also using your core muscles to improve balance and stability. Exercises can be completed seated, standing, or in a combination of both.
See SilverSneakers Locations
Register for our wellness and exercise programs for older adults.